Fixing up a low water pressure of well in the house can be tricky and tiresome for both a new homeowner and the one who has owned home for years. Some causes of low pressure of water in a well can be fixed easily whereas some of them require a good water expert. Whatever the cause is, low pressure of water is troublesome and need to be fixed.
The municipal water system controls the pressure of the water if you use the public water in your house. However, there are settings on pumps of the well for controlling the pressure of the water. If you use private well in your home, the pressure of the water is controlled through the settings. Its measurement is taken in psi that is a pound per square inch. The measurement should be in between 40 and 60 psi.
What do you mean by the term water pressure?
The pressure of the water is a term which is used to define force that is behind water which pushes the water through the plumbing system of a home. In the residential area, plumbing systems are “under pressure”. It means that the water is pressurized either by pump or gravity that give you the required amount of flow and pressure. The pressure of the water is usually measured in PSI.
For example, if your storage tank is of 100feet, then you would probably have 43 PSI and for every 10 feet, it becomes higher. A submersible pump is used to build the water pressure for the well systems of homes. The more pressure you would have, more the flow would flow through the pipe. If you would know how to measure the pressure of the water, you would know how to troubleshoot the cause of low pressure of water.
What are the causes of low pressure of water in well?
If water from the showerhead or faucet doesn’t flow as forcefully as it should be, then it could be a problem of a drop in the pressure of water. There are generally three causes that can affect the pressure of water in well. Let’s take a look at them.
- Increased in the use of water: Flow of water in a large amount within a short period of time can drop the pressure of the water, such as fire hydrant usage. Similarly, when you increase the consumption of water daily, the pressure of the water steadily decline. For example addition of a new bathroom in your home or installation of the irrigation system.
- Mechanical Breakdowns: Your well system is comprised of the mechanical system which is prone to breakdowns and deterioration. Malfunction of pressure regulators, blockages, and residues can buildup in the water pipes. And directly affect the flow of water and disrupt the pressure in the water supply system.
- Drought: Dry weather that stays for longer period of time can starve the resources of your well. It ultimately reduce the pressure of the water without any kind of precipitation. Most of the wells are designed in such a way that they can withstand enough time. Before they loose down the pressure of the water. But if your well is supplying low pressure of water. There are chances that you would be left out without a single drop of water.
How to restore the water pressure?
There are certain ways that can help you in improving the water pressure of your well. Take a look down below and consider which one works for you the best.
- Installation of constant water pressure system. Constant water pressure system is a cost-effective and speedy way if you want to maintain the pressure of the water. Constant water pressure systems regulate the pressure of water. They are specifically designed for the compensation of heavy usage of water. This can be accomplished if you maintain a set level in your tank pressure. By drawing supplementary water continuously from your well.
- Inspection of the well: If you have increased the pressure of the water through the regulator but still you are getting low pressure of water then they are chances that the problem is itself with your well. In some of the cases, the issues of the pressure of the water are attributed to the well setup itself, in which there can be low flow situations or may be enough water is not available for being drawn. To fix this, you would have to either deepen down the well or may lower your pump.
- Adjust the pressure of the tank: How much water will get drawn from the well is determined by the gauge on the pressure tank. Set up the pressure of the tank higher. This will draw more water freely and more water will be readily available to you. Whereas, the thresholds of lower water pressure can outdraw your water tank unintentionally.
Is this low flow or low pressure?
Flow rate can be measured in gallons per minute that are flowing through the pipe. A well pump in a home can deliver 5 to 20 gallons of water in a minute. So, the flow is not the same as the pressure. Yes, you heard right. Low flow is different from low pressure. That’s why sometimes it may seem that your problem is the low pressure of water but in reality, it could be the improper placement of the well pump.
If your pump is placed closely at the top of the level of the water then the water flow will get reduce and you think that the pressure of the water is low. In such a case, adding the extra water pressure devices or building the water pressure up will not help you to solve this problem. Even such measures will damage your pump. So, it is important to find out whether the problem is with the pressure or with the flow of the water. That’s why ask a professional to find out the problem so that it could be fixed accordingly.